Thursday, October 26, 2006

Yin and Yang

Hey,
There is something I have been wanting to share with you. I rediscovered a poster I made almost 10 years ago when I was working on my second master's degree. I was in a counseling type class where we had to bring in a collage that represented us and present it to the class.

I decided to cut out words that I printed off on a computer and taped them to a poster that I had drawn a Yin Yang symbol on (see picture). I didn't have much knowledge of the Yin Yang and just knew that it represented a balance between feminine (yin) and masculine (yang) traits.

The words I chose were based on what I thought to be more masculine qualities I had at the time vs. what I perceived to be more feminine traits. If I had it to do over again, I may have rearranged things a bit or used some different words here and there, but the gist is that I felt out of balance, having very little on my feminine side.

Yang Yin
Truth Kindness
open Minded Nurture
Analyze Feel
Global Equality
Logical Compassion
Imagine Goodwill
Consistence Help
Reason Humble
Reflect Touch
Create Human
Generalize Empathy
Learn Acceptance
Think Tranquility
Introspection Peace
Speculate Care
Vision Gentle
Rationalize Support
Cynicism Harmony
Justice Cultivate
Wisdom Respect
Skeptical Love
Educate Natural
Theorize

Many years later and some life altering experiences later, I now I feel more connected with my feminine side and even aspiring to tap into more of those traits listed. In fact, based on what I've read so far, if we could all open up to the yin traits I listed and extrapolate them to apply to everyone and everything unconditionally, then we could find true happiness in everything we do and see. Just some added food for thought.

I now have this poster in my bathroom and will post a photo of it to the blog (not sure how clear it will be). Feel free to share any feedback or pass it on. You might even consider a similar project for yourself. Take care and be grateful for what you have.
Trey

No comments: