Monday, January 08, 2007

Some books to read

Hey,
I have been wanting to share with you all some of the things I’ve been reading lately just to provide you with some ideas if you would like to learn some new things. First of all, I just finished watching the movie The Secret, which I would recommend everyone see. It will help you realize that you do in fact create your own reality and give you some practical advice on how to shape your life to be what you want it to be.

As for reading material, let me first re-recommend the book “A New Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose” by Eckhart Tolle. It is one of the best ones I have read lately. I am currently reading the following eight (this seems to be about the limit of how many I can read at once without having trouble remembering where I left off). They are all great books in their own right, but I think it is safe to say that everyone would enjoy reading “Way of the Peaceful Warrior.”

A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking
The Undiscovered Self, by C.G. Jung
Wherever You Go There You Are, by Jon Kabat-Zinn
The Power of Myth, by Joseph Campbell
Way of the Peaceful Warrior, by Dan Millman
The Evolutionary Mind, by Rupert Sheldrake, Terence McKenna, Ralph Abraham
Conversations with God - Guidebook 1, by Neale Donald Walsch
On the Road, by Jack Kerouac

I would also recommend everyone pick up a copy of “What Is Enlightenment?” magazine. It comes out quarterly and is one of the best periodicals I’ve been exposed to so far. The current issue is on evolution and the various schools of thought on it. Check your local bookstores for availability. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy everything you do.
Trey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add a book that I recommend: Financial Success, Harnessing the Power of Creative Thought--by Wallace D. Wattles; Destiny Books, a division of Inner Traditionals International, mine is copyrighted 1990; ISBN Number 0-89281-304-0.

Joy

Anonymous said...

Hi Trey! Fran here. My spiritual mentor sent me the book WHAT GOD WANTS by Neale Donald Walsch Thirty years ago, I asked a very learned man how he determines what is TRUTH. He said, "You read and read and read, and where ideas cross, that is TRUTH." People sending all of these books and movies to me at this time, is like the hundredth monkey idea. The gist in this book is that God does not want anything from us. p.111 "God wants nothing at all/God is separate from nothing at all." "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." "Do this not because this is a good and noble way to act, but because this is how the universe works. This is the mechanism. This is the process. What you do unto others is being done unto you, because there is no one else BUT you, in differentiated form." "Give what you wish to receive. That which you wish to experience, cause another to experience." If one wants to experience abundance, humor, companiaonship, power in one's life, then cause another to experience those things and they will appear in your life. That is it--the sum total....
AND like THE SECRET, the one you have not yet seen or read by Michael Berg, (and now I am highly recommending that you find it), these two books come to the very same conclusion about "you get what you want by giving it away." Thanks Trey, for sharing this journey with me. FRAN

Anonymous said...

Hi Trey,

When I read your blog for the first time, I thought, "Welcome to the club!" By this I mean the following:
1) When a person is diagnosed with some illness, it is always some kind of a shock. We are all there. The majority of people have been told something negative about their health. There is a difference though.
2)When somebody is diagnosed with cancer (like my late wife), and sometimes with the most aggressive one, and sometimes on the advanced stage, this is a kind of a sentence - very scary and very unpleasant.
But when it is a sickness you can live with, it is totally different. When it is a sickness also controlled by medicine, it is even better. In your case, welcome to the club of FAMOUS PEOPLE. Julius Caesar had seizures. Dostoevsky had epilepsy. And many others. This means only that they were talented, persistent, original, and strong because they had to overcome unusual and non-understood at that time sickness. Moreover, they did not have medicine on their side - at that time there was nothing to help them.

One more interesting aspect of this blog: In Asian cultures, sicknesses and illnesses are tediously hidden from the outside world. Why should the world know, for example, about my little brother who died of some disease. In America, on the other hand, people openly discuss their own illnesses and often even their relatives' ones. I heard many times, "Oh, my mother was an alcoholic." A Russian would never say this. It is something that is just not for the others. But you are an American. And, as a new American, I am beginning to grasp the idea, too. But I understand: Gosh, it takes so much courage to be open. And it takes three million times more courage to be open to the world - to all people at once - like putting a blog on the web.
Deep bow to you for your courage. You are a stunning example.

And last but not least, looking at the depth of your thoughts and the precision of your expressions, I see a talent of a writer (in addition to the talent of an organizer that I saw at your lovely conferences). So go ahead, my friend, write, write more! Solve other people's problems. Write boldly, help others, do it with your talent discovered, your heart filled with love, and your mind sharply tuned... Be great!

Cordially,

Andrei Aleinikov